Sunday 7 December 2014

Twisted Alphabets

I had an alphabet wallpaper in the room that I slept in as a little kid, and I was completely fascinated by it. It only had majuscules, the capital letters, and my mother told me that all the words in the English language could be made out of those twenty-six letters. I just didn't believe her and I would lie there at night trying to think of words that couldn't be spelled with those letters. I would put myself to sleep thinking it just isn't possible that the infinity of language could be contained within this set of twenty-six letters.

There are only two writing systems in existence today, Chinese characters and the alphabet. People often say, well what do you mean by that? There’s Arabic letters, there’s Indian scripts, there’s Ethiopic letters, there’s all of these various kinds of letter-forms. Most people don’t understand that the alphabet is actually a synthesis of two early writing systems.

I actually put my interest in the alphabet down to that early history. I also think I was just fascinated by the visual forms. I've always loved the visual shape of the letters. Well, I think there are two histories when we talk about the history of the alphabet.  There’s the history of letter-forms and how they came into being.

The other history is the history of ideas about the way we think about the alphabet, and all of the properties that we project onto these letters, whether for magical or religious or interpretive purposes. So that’s another entire history, and I think that the history of literacy, reading, and of spelling reform and of shorthand notation, and of phonetic systems, and all of these various variants on the alphabet are also a part of that history of ideas. 

There are really two parallel histories. But, more and more the other history, which is the history of ideas about the alphabet got forgotten.

In fact, if you look at it at a micro level, the range of periods of which these writing systems come into being stretches over almost 2000 years back - which is not trivial when you think about it. The inception of writings is traced down from Egypt than evolved slowly by making everybody a part of it, in a way could never fit as one person’s legacy. It started with pictorial writings where they took A to be an ox…if u rotate it you can actually catch an image of an ox with horns, than similarly the B was taken to be a house where if twisted from the right can make you see through. The alphabets always had a deeper reflection than was made to see, creativity has always been a part of us not apart of us.

I reflected to the current 26 Alphabets still could draw the same learning, which we all have forgotten or refuse to realize. Rotate…Twist…See it upright & discover it in the below list…


A...Arms
B...Bridge
C...Crescent Moon
D...Door Handle
E...Emergency
F...Fishing Rod
G...Gun Trigger
H...Hammock
I...Injection
J...Jump
K...Kiss
L...Link
M...Mirror
N...Neck to Neck
O...Orange
P...Pond
Q...Quantify
R...Rays
S...Snake
T...Tree
U...Upside Down Rainbow
V...Vessel
W...Waves
X...Xerox
Y...Yawn
Z...ZigZag 


My thought on the whole thing is telling a child A means Apple which cannot be found in the image is better or A means Arms where the upright view of it makes u see slanting lines as arms stretched of a person. I strongly feel a change is required the way teaching is done, creativity needs to be injected in the right way from the grass root level.

No comments:

Post a Comment